Monday 10 February 2020

How are we to approach the Lord's Table (Part Two)? - "Lord, you have assigned me ... my cup ... I will praise the Lord, who counsels me ... " (Psalm 16:5,7).

Our Lord Jesus Christ drank from the cup of our condemnation. We drink from the cup of His salvation. We drink His wine. We eat His bread. We hear His Word. As well as eating and drinking, there is to be listening. Jesus is the centre of our attention. We feed on Him by faith. We receive His Word with faith. God's Word is spoken to us. The bread is given to us. The wine is given to us. We use words to speak of Jesus. The bread and the wine are visual aids. They help us to understand what Jesus has done for us. The Word points to Him. The bread and the wine point to Him. We look beyond our preaching of the Word. We look beyond our celebration of the Lord's Supper. We see Jesus. We look to Him. He is our Saviour. He is God's greatest gift. He is far greater than our preaching about Him. Our time at the Lord's Table can give us only a glimpse of His greatness. How great is our Saviour - "I thank God for His gift that words cannot describe" (2 Corinthians 9:15)!
 * Hearing the Word of the Lord, we give thanks to Him - "You have made known to me the path of life."
 * Receiving the salvation of the Lord, we rejoice in Him - "You will fill me with joy in Your presence."
 * Looking forward to the glory of the Lord, we put our hope in Him - You will give me "eternal pleasures at Your right hand" (Psalm 16:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Praying Through God’s Word: Isaiah